BA, MSc, PhD
+44(0)1273 763 408
Clare joined IES as a Research Officer in December 2014 before becoming a Research Fellow in 2016. Her main interests include equality and diversity issues, and the Higher and Further Education sectors. Clare draws upon experience of working on equality and diversity issues in both policy and research contexts working for equality charities, research consultancies and the National Union of Students.
Clare completed a PhD in psycholinguistics at the University of Edinburgh, and has since used a range of quantitative and qualitative skills to explore equality and diversity issues, and barriers to participation. She has experience analysing workforce data for the Higher Education, scientific and general workforces to explore diversity and identify trends and areas for improvement. Clare has analysed quantitative and qualitative survey data for a range of topics such as student finances and financial well-being, and disabled students and graduates’ experiences of careers advice at university. She also has experience conducting focus groups and interviews. Clare has a good understanding of equality and human rights legislation and direct experience of working in a policy environment in an equality charity.
At IES, Clare is working on a range of EU and UK consultancy and policy project teams on adult skills, well-being at work, and evaluating training.
|2009||University of Edinburgh||PhD, Psycholinguistics|
|2004||University of Edinburgh||MSc, Psycholinguistics|
|2002||King’s College, London||BA (Hons), German|
|2013-2014||Research and Data Officer, Equality Challenge Unit|
|2012-2013||Research Assistant, National Union of Students|
|2010-2011||Research Intern, nfpSynergy|
|2010||Events and Communications Intern, Hansard Society|
|2009||Campaigns Assistant, British Humanist Association|
- Capturing school-to-work transitions with longitudinal data sources, Pollard E, Williams M, Huxley C, Green M, Martin A, Gray H, Report 512, Institute for Employment Studies, Nov 2017
- Appraisal of the Right to Request Time to Train Regulations, , Department for Education, Oct 2017
- Investing in skills pays off, Research Paper 60, European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop), Jul 2017
- Investing in skills pays off: Executive summary, , European Centre for the Development of Vocational Training (Cedefop), Jul 2017
- Student Income and Expenditure Survey 2014/15: Welsh-domiciled students, Maher J, Rooney K, Toomse-Smith M, Kiss Z, Pollard E, Williams M, Hillage J, Green M, Huxley C, Hunt W, , Welsh Government, Jun 2017
- Student Income and Expenditure Survey 2014/15: Welsh-domiciled students: Interim executive summary, Maher J, Rooney K, Toomse-Smith M, Kiss Z, Pollard E, Williams M, Hillage J, Green M, Huxley C, Hunt W, , Welsh Government, Jun 2017
- Accelerated degrees in higher education: Case study report, Huxley C, Green M, Swift S, Pollard E, , Department for Education, Mar 2017
- The customer journey to initial teacher training: Research report, Williams J, Pollard E, Hinks R, Huxley C, Marvell R, , The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL), Jul 2016
- The customer journey to initial teacher training: Appendices, Williams J, Pollard E, Hinks R, Huxley C, Marvell R, , , The National College for Teaching and Leadership (NCTL), Jul 2016
- Evaluation of Mind's Blue Light Programme, Wilson S, Sinclair A, Huxley C, Spiegelhalter K, , , MIND, Jun 2016
- Mapping investment in adult skills, Gloster R, Marvell R, Buzzeo J, Hadjivassiliou K, Williams J, Huxley C, Research Paper , Department for Business, Innovation and Skills, May 2016