MA, MSc, PhD
01273 763 417
Stella joined IES in November 2017 after eight years as a senior researcher at the Institute for Employment Research (IAB) in Germany.
She is an empirical economist and her research interests lie on applied micro-econometrics, labour economics and the economics of migration.
Stella is experienced in working both with survey and administrative datasets. Moreover, she has conducted large-scale macro data collection on international migration in OECD countries (the IAB ‘Brain-Drain’ dataset).
Stella’s research has focused on several aspects of globalisation and labour market outcomes. In her recent publications she has addressed the impact of the mutual recognition of professional qualifications on intra-EU mobility, and the labour market effects of firms’ exposure to international competition (eg export and offshoring).
At IES, Stella’s work focuses on economic impact evaluations of labour markets, health and social programmes.
|2010||University of Turin||PhD, Economics|
|2006||Coripe Piemonte, University of Turin||MSc, Economics|
|2005||University of Turin||MA, International Politics|
|2010-2017||Senior Researcher, Institute for Employment Research (IAB), Nuremberg, Germany|
|2015-2016||Post-Doctoral Researcher, FernUniversitaet Hagen, Chair of International Economics|
|2009-2010||Early-Stage Researcher, Marie-Curie Research Programme, Institute for Employment Research (IAB), Nuremberg, Germany|
- Offshoring and firm overlap, Capuano S, Egger H, Koch M, Schmerer H-J, IAB Discussion Paper , Institute for Employment Research (IAB), Feb 2017
- Exchange rate effects of a potential Brexit on German-UK bilateral trade, Capuano S, Stepanok I, , Institute for Employment Research (IAB), Jun 2016
- Trade and unions: Can exporters benefit from collective bargaining?, Capuano S, Hauptmann A, Schmerer H-J,, CESifo working papers , Center for Economic Studies & Ifo Institute (CESifo), Dec 2014
- Education, gender and international migration: insights from a panel-dataset 1980-2010, Brücker H, Capuano S, Marfouk K, , Institute for Employment Research (IAB), Aug 2013
Articles and chapters
- The migration of professionals within the EU: Any barriers left?, Capuano S, Migali S, Review of International Economics, Wiley, Vol. 24, No. 4, September 2017
- Trade and unemployment revisited: Do institutions matter?, Capuano S, Schmerer H-J, The World Economy, Wiley, Vol. 38, No. 7, July 2015
- The US finance wage premium before and after the financial crisis: a decomposition, Capuano S, Lai T-K, Schmerer H-J, Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis, Vol. 21, No. 16, May 2014