Principal Research Fellow
01273 763 415
Dan Lucy started his research career at IES back in 2006, leading many assignments on leadership, including evaluating the impact of variations in management practice at the Olympic Park, on behalf of the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and identifying how behavioural economics could be applied to workplace disputes to solve conflict, for the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills.
Dan’s expertise in organisational development (OD) has helped many employers and public bodies, including the European Agency for Safety and Health at Work (EU-OSHA), who commissioned IES to assess the impact of, and help develop, their business strategy.
Another key area of interest for Dan is the relationship between health and work. His experience includes evaluating interventions, including occupational health initiatives for SMEs and the Fit for Work service (HSE, Department for Work and Pensions), supporting the health and wellbeing of employees at, and returning to, work.
Dan returned to IES in May 2018 after five years as head of research at Roffey Park Institute. In this role, Dan oversaw the research programme in the fields of strategic HR, leadership and Organisational Development (OD), leading the team who won the 2018 HR Distinction Award for supplier-led innovation and collaboration. Delivering consultancy projects for clients in the UK and Europe, he also developed a leadership framework that was adopted across the entire healthcare sector in Singapore. His other projects included work on diversity, organisational values, developing OD and People Strategy as well as running action learning sets for senior managers.
Dan is a principal practitioner of the Association of Business Psychologists (PPABP). His diverse pre-research career included roles in IT project management for HSBC and Merrill Lynch, and senior roles in mental health for various charities, and the NHS. This experience enriches his work for IES clients.
|1998||London School of Economics and Political Science||MSc, Industrial Relations and Personnel Management|
|1995||University of Manchester||BSc, Psychology|
|2018-||Principal Research Fellow, Institute for Employment Studies|
|2013-2018||Head of Research, Roffey Park Institute|
|2006-2012||Research Fellow, Institute for Employment Studies|
|2003-2006||Manager, 2Care, NHS|
|1999-2003||IT Manager, Merrill Lynch HSBC|
- The Journey from Health and Safety to Healthy and Safe , Bajorek Z, Lucy D, Bevan S , , Institute for Employment Studies, Apr 2020
- Progression in Employment: A brief overview of policy options and evidence, Wilson T, Lucy D, , Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2020
- Progression in Employment: Employer initiatives in relation to progression in employment, Takala H, Rickard C, Byford M, Zealley C, Bajorek Z, Hadjivassiliou K, Lucy D, , Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2020
- Progression in Employment: Using behavioural insights to promote progression in employment, Lucy D, Rickard C, Zealley C, , Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2020
- Progression in Employment, Bajorek Z, Lucy D, , Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2020
- Progression in Employment: Employer Toolkit & Case Study Collection, Lucy D, Bajorek Z, , Institute for Employment Studies, Dec 2019
- Productivity in Professional Services (PiPS) Proof of Concept, Lucy D, Hey L, Hirsh W, , Institute for Employment Studies, May 2019
- Progression in Employment, Report 518, Institute for Employment Studies, Apr 2019
- Brexit: retaining talent through change, Bevan S, Lucy D, , Adecco Group, Nov 2018
- Teachers', leaders' and governors' views on the pay framework, Dawson A, Hey L, Byford M, Rickard C, Lucy D, Newton B, , Department for Education, Nov 2018
Articles and chapters
- Evidence-based practice in action, Lucy D, CIPD Applied Research Conference, January 2020
- Facilitators, Lucy D, Davis C, Adecco Group Webinar: Brexit: retaining talent through change, Adecco Group, [Online], November 2018
- Unlocking employee productivity: the role of health and wellbeing, Lucy D, EEF webinar: Unlocking employee productivity: the role of health and wellbeing, EEF, The manufacturers' organisation, [Online], June 2018
- The march of the market: pay determination in a changing context, Reilly P, Processing & Packaging Machinery Trade Association (PPMA) Annual Conference, Processing & Packaging Machinery Trade Association (PPMA), Newcastle, April 2018