Intensive Activity Programme trial evaluation: Claimant research
This report provides detailed findings of the qualitative research undertaken by IES' for the evaluation of the Intensive Activity Programme (IAP). A further report provides an evidence synthesis of the evaluation.
The Intensive Activity Programme (IAP) was a package of intensive support and structured activities that claimants were required to complete within 21 days of making a new Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA) claim, in addition to a full-time job search. The programme was designed to accelerate movement off unemployment benefit and into work through the promotion of effective full-time job seeking from the earliest stage of the claim.
The report centres around qualitative research undertaken with claimants, looking at areas such as:
- whether IAP participants welcomed the chance to gain new job search skills or confirm existing ones;
- the impact of the group activities on participants' ability to gain new job search skills;
- the advantages of being part of a mixed group to share experiences;
- whether participants appreciated the Jobcentre Plus staff who facilitated the workshops; and
- how the programme improved participants' views of the professionalism of Jobcentre Plus.