Kate joined IES as a Research Intern in September 2019 before becoming a Research Officer in March 2020. Her main interests include precarious employment, the gig economy, higher education, and young peoples’ transitions from education to employment.
Kate completed an Undergraduate degree in sociology and a Masters degree in social research methods at the University of Sussex, where she carried out mixed methods research exploring precarious work in graduate transitions into the labour market.
Since joining IES Kate has used her quantitative and qualitative skills in a number of policy projects exploring education, training and employment. This has included conducting and analysing in-depth interviews and focus groups for projects exploring social mobility; quantitative analysis of MI data contributing to evaluations of education and training programmes; and survey analysis exploring mental health in higher education.
|2019||University of Sussex||MSc Social Research Methods|
|2018||University of Sussex||BA, Sociology|
|2020||Research Officer||Institute for Employment Studies|
|2019-2020||Research Intern||Institute for Employment Studies|
- Coaching in virtual spaces: Video, audio and text-based, Carter A, Blackman A, Alexander K, Byford M, , Institute for Employment Studies , Aug 2021
- Student mental health and wellbeing, Pollard E, Vanderlayden J, Alexander K, Borkin H, O’Mahony J , , Department for Education, Jun 2021
- The impact of COVID-19 on low-income households, Buzzeo J, Alexander K, White-Smith G, Newton B, , Institute for Employment Studies , Oct 2020
- Moving out to move on, Papoutsaki D, Buzzeo J, Gray H, Williams M, Cockett J, Akehurst G, Alexander K, Newton B, Pollard E, , Institute for Employment Studies / Social Mobility Commission , Jul 2020
- Process Evaluation of Support for T Level Industry Placements, Williams J, Newton B, Takala H, Gloster R, Alexander K, , Department for Education, Jul 2020
- Support for Industry Placements, Takala H, Williams J, Alexander K, Wnek B, Newton B, , Department for Education, Jul 2020
- Evaluation of the Careers Leader Training , Williams J, Akehurst G, Alexander K, Pollard E, Williams C, Hooley T, , Institute for Employment Studies, May 2020