BA(Hons), DipM, MSc, DBA
Dr Sharon Varney is a specialist in developing organisations and people. Her areas of expertise include leadership, learning and change. As both a consultant and as a researcher, Sharon thrives on creating clarity in complex and ambiguous change situations. She works at a strategic level, helping to create more effective organisations, and engages at a very human level, supporting people to manage personal change and transition.
Sharon developed her change expertise working as a senior manager in large, complex organisations. She was group head of learning and communications for a global organisation in the offshore oil and gas business. Previously she was Vice President for international learning and development at a US bank.
Now Sharon employs her cross-sector expertise to support leaders and directors within private, public and not-for-profit organisations. That may involve working with them to create a compelling people strategy; to develop OD capability; to re-design organisations; to bring brand values to life; or to develop productive and effective leadership communities.
Sharon holds a doctorate from Henley Business School, and is now a member of the faculty team in Leadership, Organisations and Behaviour. Her doctoral research, which has a very practical edge, explored the complex dynamics of organisational change and the role of change leaders within it.
- HR leadership in complexity and change, Varney S, , Institute for Employment Studies , Jun 2021
- Change capability in the agile organisation, Carter A, Varney S, HR Network Paper 139, Institute for Employment Studies, Jul 2018
- Slides: Models of Change: A Buyer's Guide, Varney S, , Institute for Employment Studies, Jul 2017
- Investigating and improving the HR and OD capability in shared councils, Brown D, Reilly P, Varney S, , Local Government Association (LGA), Feb 2016
- Infographic: Organisation Design: 5 challenges and 10 tips, Varney S, HR Essentials 3, Institute for Employment Studies, Jan 2016
- Infographic Organisation Design, Varney S, , Institute for Employment Studies, Nov 2015
- Organisational change: finding your way as you journey into the unknown, Varney S, HR Network Paper 104, Institute for Employment Studies, Mar 2015
- Organisation design in a VUCA world, Garrow V, Varney S, HR Network Paper 105, Institute for Employment Studies, Mar 2015
- HR in a disordered world: IES Perspectives on HR 2015, Report 506, Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2015
- Organisation Design: A framework for thinking about your own approach, Varney S, HR Essentials 3, Institute for Employment Studies, Jan 2015
- The Palace: Perspectives on Organisation Design, Garrow V, Varney S, Report 501, Institute for Employment Studies, Jul 2013
- Learning to swim, learning to fly?, Garrow V, Varney S, Report 481, Institute for Employment Studies, Mar 2011
- Fish or Bird? Perspectives on Organisational Development (OD), Garrow V, Varney S, Lloyd C, Research Report 463, Institute for Employment Studies, May 2009