+44 (0)1273 763 481
Alex originally joined IES as a research intern in March 2017, before taking up the position of research officer later in 2017. His research interests include equality and diversity in health and education, across public policy- and employer-based work streams.
Since joining IES, Alex has been involved in a number of different projects which have included: exploring people’s perceptions around the diversity of a public-funded organisation; evaluating pilot schemes to help carers stay in or get back into employment for the Social Care Institute for Excellence; and exploring the role of advanced practitioners in further education.
At university, Alex achieved first-class honours in Psychology and Sociology, before gaining a scholarship to study a masters in Anthropology at the University of Sussex, where he graduated with distinction. This diverse social science-based education has allowed Alex to gain a variety of qualitative research skills including, but not limited to, various interview techniques, literature reviews, thematic analysis and discourse analysis.
Prior to attending university, Alex completed an apprenticeship in Electrical Installation, and has first-hand experience of technical education. On completing his masters, Alex decided to work with The British Humanist Association, where he conducted qualitative research with their pastoral support team.
|2015||University of Sussex||BA Psychology and Sociology|
|2016||University of Sussex||MA Anthropology|
- Experiences of homeless young people in precarious employment, Buzzeo J, Byford M, Martin A, Newton B, , Institute for Employment Studies, Oct 2019
- Understanding the conditions for successful mental health training for managers , Wilson S, Martin A, Edwards M, O'Sullivan M, , RSSB, Sep 2019
- Understanding the conditions for successful mental health training for managers, Wilson S, Martin A, Spiegelhalter K, , Rail Safety and Standards Board, Jun 2018
- Workforce planning practice, Weeks A, Reilly P, Hirsh W, Robinson R, Martin A, , Chartered Institute of Personnel & Development (CIPD), May 2018
- Preparing for Brexit through workforce planning, Reilly P, Hirsh W, Robinson D, Martin A, , Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD), Mar 2018
- The experiences of individuals in the gig economy, Broughton A, Gloster R, Marvell R, Green M, Langley J, Martin A, , Department for Business, Energy & Industrial Strategy (BEIS), Feb 2018
- Capturing school-to-work transitions with longitudinal data sources, Pollard E, Williams M, Huxley C, Green M, Martin A, Gray H, Report 512, Institute for Employment Studies, Nov 2017
- Understanding the role of advanced practitioners in English further education, Tyler E, Marvell R, Green M, Martin A, Williams J, Huxley C, , Education Training Foundation, Oct 2017
- Understanding the evidence base for successful mental health training for line managers, Wilson S, Martin A, Westminster Insight's Managing Mental Health in the Workplace Conference, Westminster Insight, London, March 2019
- Effectiveness of line manager training for mental health in the rail industry, O'Sullivan M, Wilson S, Martin A, Institution of Occupational Safety and Health Rail Industry Conference 2018, Institution of Occupational Safety and Health, Manchester, November 2018