+44 (0)20 7104 2075
Helena joined IES as a Research Officer in 2017, having previously worked as a Research Intern. She is a predominantly qualitative researcher interested in education and skills policy, pre-16 education and Early Years research, school-to-work transitions and youth labour markets, and labour market disadvantage. Helena has experience across qualitative research methods, including focus groups, interviews and systematic literature reviews. She is also adept at survey analysis on SPSS.
Helena’s recent projects include the evaluation of the T level Industry Placement Pilot, a literature review on the impact of the student finance system for disadvantaged young people, and a qualitative research project that considered decision-making around student loans among Muslim individuals. She is currently contributing to several evaluations of education programmes, including the Early Years Toolbox, Construction Skills Fund and the Teach First Careers and Employability Programme.
In addition to her work evaluating education and training programmes, Helena has contributed to IES’s work in employment policy. She has interviewed participants about their health conditions and ability to work for a large-scale randomised-control trial in England. She has recently interviewed female service leavers on their return to the labour market and participants working in education on their wellbeing at work. Helena is currently also interviewing participants and stakeholders as part of the Refugees into Sustainable Employment Evaluation.
|2014||Unviersity of Sussex||MA Global Political Economy|
|2013||Unviersity of Sussex||BA International Relations|
- Progression in Employment: Employer initiatives in relation to progression in employment, Takala H, Rickard C, Byford M, Zealley C, Bajorek Z, Hadjivassiliou K, Lucy D, , Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2020
- National Colleges Process Evaluation , Buzzeo J, Patel R, Byford M, Takala H, Gay R , , Department for Education, Feb 2020
- Research to inform workforce planning and career development in legal services, Williams M, Buzzeo J, Cockett J, Capuano S, Takala H , , The Law Society of England and Wales, Dec 2019
- Labour market segmentation: Piloting new empirical and policy analyses, Newton B, Takala H, Byford M, , Eurofound, Dec 2019
- Review of Support for Disabled Students in Higher Education in England, Williams M, Pollard E, Takala H, Houghton AM, , Office for Students, Oct 2019
- Female Service Leavers and Employment, Parry E, Battista V, Williams M, Robinson D, Takala H, , Forces in Mind Trust, Sep 2019