Redeveloping performance appraisal and the link to pay
In 2010, a government department decided to give consideration to redeveloping its performance appraisal process and the link to performance related pay. IES was asked to help. The aim was to ensure these systems reflected 'best practice' and supported the aim of building a high performance culture. It was necessary to ensure that any changes were affordable, sustainable, non discriminatory and supportive of departmental and civil service values.
IES undertook a number of activities, including:
- holding focus groups with appraisers and appraisees to obtain views of the process and ideas for improvement
- meeting trade union representatives to hear their views and ideas for improvement
- examining the documents that support the process
- looking at outcomes of the processes, including a survey of performance appraisal forms and the distribution of performance related pay awards
- reviewing external evidence of good practice.
A report was presented to the Departmental Management Board and the Permanent Secretary was briefed on options for change. An internal project manager was appointed to agree on next steps and then implement them.