BA, MRes, DPhil
Principal Research Fellow
+44 (0) 1273 763 445
Anneka joined IES in 2018 as a principal research fellow. She has over 10 years’ experience in education and family research. She has worked across applied research, research operations (including school recruitment to projects and survey management) and as a research funder commissioning and managing more than 30 projects at a time.
She leads the Institute's work on pre-16 education and she is an experienced project manager, having led teams from across reputable institutions working in education research. Anneka is also a consultant and peer reviewer for the Education Endowment Foundation and a peer reviewer for the journal Educational Research.
Her key research interests include 'what works' in education, early years education, parental engagement with education, STEM education (including opportunities for girls) and family relationships.
|2011||University of Sussex||DPhil Psychology|
|2007||University of Sussex||MRes Psychological Research Methods|
|2005||University of Sussex||BA (hons) Social Psychology with Sociology|
|2016-2018||Senior Evaluation Manager, Education Endowment Foundation|
|2012-2016||Research Manager, National Foundation for Educational Research|
|2011||Research Assistant, University of Sussex|
|2008-2011||Associate Tutor, University of Sussex|
|2009||Research Intern, National Council for Voluntary Organisations|
- OVO Foundation report: Education Inequality in the early years, Dawson A, Williams C, Akehurst G, , Institute for Employment Studies, Feb 2021
- Early Years Toolbox, Dawson A, Stokes L, Huxley C, Runge J, Takala H, Manzoni C, Hudson-Sharp N, Williams C, , Education Endowment Foundation (EEF), May 2020
- Teachers', leaders' and governors' views on the pay framework, Dawson A, Hey L, Byford M, Rickard C, Lucy D, Newton B, , Department for Education, Nov 2018
- Careers provision in colleges, Williams J, Buzzeo J, Spiegelhalter K, Dawson A, , Careers & Enterprise Company, Nov 2018
Articles and chapters
- Coaching Early Conversation Interaction and Language: An implementation and process evaluation of two speech and language therapy programmes in early years settings, Dawson A, Huxely C, European Early Childhood Education Research Association, September 2021
- Supporting the foundations of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths)
- WWCSC Catch-up Literacy
- Language in the Early Years
- Direct Mapping and Set-for-Variability
- Early Years Monitoring and Evaluation
- Tips by Text
- Teachers' and leaders' views on the pay framework: a review
- What works in colleges?
- Early Years Toolbox Evaluation