Megan Edwards (maternity leave)
Senior Research Fellow
01273 763 455
Megan Edwards joined IES in May 2017 shortly after completing an MSc in occupational psychology exploring the relationship between internal communication and employee engagement, using affect-based trust in a logic chain approach. This research involved design, administration and detailed analysis of an employee survey across three organisations.
Her current project work at IES includes a large-scale evaluation of a national pilot training programme involving multiple research methods, including; designing research questionnaires, semi-structured interviewing and observation of training delivery. Further project work includes employee survey analysis, using both qualitative and quantitative techniques to synthase data from over 7,000 respondents.
Megan’s qualitative research skills include structured and semi-structured interviewing; preparation of discussion guides; the design of research questionnaires; and report-writing. Quantitative research techniques include the statistical analysis and interpretation of questionnaire data using SPSS.
Before switching to a research career, Megan worked as an HR manager with a start-up company. Responsibilities included:
- Recruitment and selection: including; creation of job descriptions, interviewing, designing and running assessment centres, contract creation and legal compliance.
- Personal development and performance management: designing and implementing performance management systems, leading issues related to performance grievances and disciplinary procedures.
- Organisational change projects, eg leading the IIP accreditation, departmental restructuring.
|2014||Birbeck, University of London||MSc Organisational Psychology|
|2008||University of Sussex||BSc Psychology|
|2011-2017||Various roles including HR Manager, Net Natives|
- Living and working with obesity, Bajorek Z, Mason B, Edwards M, Bevan S , , Institute for Employment Studies , Jul 2021
- Working well? How the pandemic changed work for people with health conditions, Mason B, Edwards M, Bajorek Z, Bevan S, , Centre for Ageing Better, Jun 2021
- Shut Out: How employers and recruiters are overlooking the talents of over 50s workers, Edwards M, Holmes J, Mason B, Bajorek Z , , Centre for Ageing Better, Jan 2021
- Wellbeing of Primary Care workforce, Mason B, Carter A, Edwards M, , Institute for Employment Studies , Aug 2020
- Understanding the conditions for successful mental health training for managers , Wilson S, Martin A, Edwards M, O'Sullivan M, , RSSB, Sep 2019
- Slides: Understanding the conditions for successful mental health training for managers, Edwards, M, , Institute for Employment Studies, Jun 2019
- Health Coaching: Innovation and Adoption, Edwards M, Carter A, Hey L, Arnill Graham K , , Institute for Employment Studies, Jun 2019
- Slides: Changing together: Change tools for teams (1), Carter A, Edwards M, , Institute for Employment Studies, Mar 2019
- Slides: Changing together: Change tools for teams (2), Carter A, Edwards M, , Institute for Employment Studies, Mar 2019
- Changing together: Change tools for teams, Varney S, Carter A, Edwards M, , The Henley Forum and Institute for Employment Studies, Mar 2019
- Which way now for HR and organisational changes? IES Perspectives on HR 2018, Report 516, Institute for Employment Studies, Jan 2019
- Optometrists' Futures 2018, Robinson D, Edwards M, Cockett J, Hey L, , Association of Optometrists, Oct 2018
- Thinking ahead: A review of support provided by employers to help staff plan for their future, Gloster R, Edwards M, Spiegelhalter K, Newton B, Hirsh W, , Centre for Ageing Better, Sep 2018
- Information sheet: Internal communications and employee engagement: the role of trust, , Institute for Employment Studies, Sep 2018
- Bridging the gap: an evidence-based approach to employee engagement, Edwards M, HR Network Paper 141, Institute for Employment Studies, Sep 2018
- Slides: From Performance and Development Reviews to Focus, Kleboe J, Edwards M, , Surrey and Sussex Police and Institute for Employment Studies, May 2018
- The future role of the veterinary nurse: 2017 Schedule 3 survey, Robinson D, Edwards M, Williams M, , Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS), Oct 2017
Articles and chapters
- Understanding the conditions for successful mental health training for managers, Edwards M, CIPD Applied Research Conference in Dublin, January 2020
- Employers' views and practices in supporting employees in their mid-life to retirement, Edwards M, 'Employers' views and practices in supporting employees in their mid-life to retirement' at Changing boundaries: career, identity, and self conference, NICEC, Manchester, April 2019